So you have worked very hard to get yourself in your “Happy Bubble”. You have let go of what is not working in your life. You are thankful for all the good in your life. You have consciously made the choice to not focus on the negative things. You are working very hard to create the life you want by watching your thoughts. You are working through your fears and taking those leaps of faith. Yet for some reason you still find yourself in the center of the drama that others create. So what do you do?
I don’t care who you are, what you do for a living, how old you are or how happy you are….you cannot get through life without running into those infected with the “drama disease”. We all know them. They are always complaining and talking about others. Everyday is just another negative adventure filled with drama. Now let me be clear here…they are NOT bad people. In fact, I think if we are brutally honest with ourselves, we have all suffered from the “drama disease” at one time or another (I certainly have). So I want to be clear this is NOT about judging others. This is about learning how to not allow others to suck you into their drama.
One of my most favorite books is The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. The second agreement is “Don‘t Take Anything Personally”. This quote is taken directly from the book “Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.” WOW! Doesn’t that make your life a lot easier! You no longer have to take things personally. You can take a step back and realize that whatever drama someone may be creating has nothing to do with you! And the most wonderful thing is that you do not have to allow yourself to be drawn into their drama. Of course we are human and many times we want to react, defend or we get pulled in without even realizing what is happening.
Here are some quick tips for staying drama free and in your Happy Bubble:
1. Remember to not take it personally.
2. Be aware of when you feel like you are defending yourself as that is a big clue telling you that you are being pulled into someone else’s drama
3. Take a step back and give yourself some time before responding. I personally prefer the 24 hour rule as I like to step outside the emotions attached to the situation and give myself time to think it through.
4. Think about why you feel the need to respond to this person’s drama. Is it because you want to explain yourself? Is it because you’re afraid that they will not like you? Do you believe you can change them? Do you feel it is your job to keep the peace no matter what the sacrifice? Think about what your goal in reacting is? Remember, when you feed into the drama you get more drama.
5. Remember everyone has the right to think and feel however they want. You cannot control how others react. You can only control how you react.
Now the interesting thing about the Universe is once you have a new awareness it likes to test ya! So don’t be surprised if you get to use your new awareness very soon! Just remember to stick to the 5 steps and you will sail through the test and stay in your drama free happy bubble!
I dedicate this article to my friend Bill Lackner (actor, comedian, founder of “A.C.E.S for Kids” and great person)! Bill did not have an easy life but the man ALWAYS had a smile on his face and a positive outlook no matter what he was going through! Thank you my friend for always being such a positive influence in my life! I hope you are enjoying the red carpet on the other side:)